Monday, April 25, 2011

Short Sale Manifesto

In October 2010 I had the honor of being invited to be a panelists at the annual National Association of Realtors conference in New Orleans. The topic of our session was the HAFA Program, and I shared the stage with Laurie Maggiano of the US Treasury and JK Huey of Wells Fargo. We each got to make about a 15 minute presentation and then we took some questions.

As I was working on my presentation, I really tried to write something that was reflective of the true temperature of the real estate market and to make points about how and why I think HAFA can be helpful. In the process, I came up with something that I called the Short Sale Manifesto. To me, it is a call for collaboration in the spirit of win - win. I had a few people come up to me afterward to tell me that the Manifesto really resonated with them, so I thought I would share it here again, for the sake of everyone who wasn't there.

Here is the text of the Short Sale Manifesto:

We call for honesty, openness and professionalism.  Short sales are not an invention of the borrowers, nor of the real estate community. They were created by the lending community (servicers and investors), as means of minimizing their losses by selling the property prior to foreclosure and not incurring the costs associated with a foreclosure. As such, we believe that all short sale transactions need to be handled in a professional manner, actively working toward a mutually acceptable outcome, with transparency and ethical integrity being the foundation upon which all parties build trust.

And if you are interested, you can see the videos of both the panelist presentations and the Q&A session afterward here:

NAR HAFA Panel with Jeff Lischer

Live Q & A's on HAFA

No comments: